In this episode we speak with the TV Producer, Technical Manager, and former Storm Chaser Rob Hedrick. Rob’s been a Star Trek fan since childhood, and we discuss his history with the show and which episodes made an impact on him.
- Being a nerd wasn’t cool and it is now
- Mr. Scott’s Guide to the Enterprise
- Haynes Guide
- The 1701 cutaway poster
- TOS remasters
- Are FX a crutch?
- A discussion of Rob Legato
- Image G effects house
- Rob uses lessons from Star Trek in his current job
- Captain Picard’s management style
- Rob’s Deep Space 9 confession
- New favorite show
- Coca-Cola is in charge, not you
- The show bibles aren’t always correct
- First episode memories
- Hallmark tree-topper love
- Pandemic cosplay on the Zooms
- No conventions???
- Mad love for the Star Trek Cruise
- Rewatch stories
- Compare the Trek rewatches to Tay-Tay
- Trek on all the screens
- Scanner selfie regret
- A giant can of Lucy
- Getting mad at the TV
- Shall we Shelby?
- Nerd visions of grandeur
- Dad did the math
- The Argus Array is a favorite
- 27.32 on the play head and again at 28.13
- Slow laser
- “The reactor is critical” doesn’t mean what people think
- Barclay power!
- Thou shalt not deny Die Hard in Space
- Sympathy for Hutch
- The Forrest Gumping of Star Trek
- Captain Pike has a life crisis
- The Star Trek switcheroo: eggs and Bunnicorn pizzas
- 2009 and SNW parallel scenes
- TMP disagreements
- A bit on Andrei Tarkovsky
- Admiring the design of the Kiley Queen (or whatever she is)
- Starfleet time out for naughty officers
- Honorary Star Trek title awarded: Orbital Weather Control Officer for Planet Hysperia
- From the bonus material
- The podcast comparison videos
- Discussion about the concept that “You must like Star Trek exactly the same way and in the same intensity as me and for the same exact reasons otherwise you are not a fan.”
- Star Trek is for everyone
- The power of sci-fi and the Neptunians and the Saturnanians
- Captain Esteban discourse
- Be sure to check out this Captain Esteban apology video that Rob made after the podcast!
- What makes a good Kobayashi Maru question
- Whither official conventions?
- The Colosseum at Caesar’s Palace LED Wall
- Take a look at the photos of the control room in the Smith Center Cabaret Jazz venue
- Kobayashi Maru question predictions
- “We don’t know what we are talking about here.”
- The Overture is long gone
- John lays out how the episode live-tweeting will go once Enterprise is done
- Storm chaser stories from Rob
- The Corbomite Maneuver TOS S1E02
- Hollow Pursuits TNG S3E21
- The Best of Both Worlds TNG S3E26
- The Best of Both Worlds TNG S4E01
- The Nth Degree TNG S4E19
- Starship Mine TNG S6E18
- Strange New Worlds SNW E1S01
This show is a labor of love. If you’d like to show your support for Trek Profiles, please consider a donation to the official charity of the podcast: The Children’s Fund for Glycogen Storage Disease (GSD). Click here to donate. Or click here to learn more about GSD.
Some portions of the Kobayashi Maru lightning round questions in this episode were written by listener Adam Sanders. If you’d like to submit questions for possible inclusion on the show, you can send me a message via Twitter or email me. I give some suggestions on good questions here.